Whilst the Museum is closed and our collections unable to be seen by visitors, we have created a weekly virtual museum with an Object of the Week feature from our collections.
Object of the Week: W is for Wellington and Ward
JBB Wellington... ,,,and his factory
John Booker Blakemore Wellington, photographer, collaborated with George Eastman of the Kodak Company and became the first manager of the Kodak works in Harrow between 1891 and 1893. The Eastman Company, later renamed the Eastman Kodak Company (commonly known as Kodak), introduced the first commercially available transparent celluloid roll film. George Eastman created a flexible roll film that did not require the constant changing of solid plates. This allowed him to develop a self-contained box camera that held 100 exposures of film. This was the first camera inexpensive enough for the average person to afford.
Wellington moved to Elliott and Sons, Barnet in 1894 and with his brother-in-law H.H. Ward, founded the company of Wellington and Ward in Borehamwood, manufacturers of photographic plates, films and papers of which he was scientific and technical Director. The business flourished until 1933.
At this time, he was living at The Elms, Shenley Road, which stood next-door to Glenhaven House and which was only demolished in February 1987.
Before his death in 1939, Wellington had moved to The Leys, Barnet Lane, Elstree.
The Museum has some of the glass lantern plates and photographic paper from the company in the collection as well as photographs of the staff and some evocative photographs taken by Wellington himself: